Did you know there are actually two main types of cinnamon?
You're probably familiar with the one commonly found on supermarket shelves called cassia cinnamon. Cassia has a bigger more intense and singular flavor.
And then there's the less common type called Ceylon cinnamon. The special stuff. The crème de la cinnamon. Some call it true cinnamon or Mexican cinnamon.
Ceylon cinnamon is the one that many bakers and chefs seek out. It's the variety we've sourced for you.
So what's the difference?
Both are harvested from the inner bark of evergreen trees. But the two varieties are grown in different countries and have different chemical compounds.
Then there's the taste.
Someone said that tasting Ceylon cinnamon is like listening to your favorite vinyl record on a $4,000 stereo system, while Cassia cinnamon is like listening to an mp3 version in the car. I don't have a stereo like that, but I can imagine.
With Ceylon cinnamon you will notice nuance - lighter, brighter citrus and floral notes. Ceylon is ideal for pastries, cakes, drinks, soups, and desserts. It charms without overpowering.
We recommend our Microplane Spice Mill for grinding our Ceylon cinnamon bark. But no worries If you prefer not to do your own grinding. We also offer ground Ceylon cinnamon.
My partner on the ground in India, Mr. Divakar, sources our Ceylon cinnamon from a storied 250-year-old cinnamon estate in his hometown. Like all of our spices, Divakar ships to us directly, so nothing sits around getting old and stale.
While Ceylon cinnamon costs a bit more than cassia, just think how much you'll save on having to buy a $4,000 stereo.
- Ceylon Cinnamon, Bark
- Non-GMO, Non-ETO, Non-Irradiated. No funny business.
- Our spices are used by top chefs around the country. You get the same lots.
- Grown in Kannur, India
- Bark looks like sticks, each around a few inches long
- From a 250-year old estate
- Considered "True" cinnamon also called "Mexican cinnamon"
- Subtle, mellow, complex and sweet
- Milder flavor than cassia cinnamon, the more common variety
- Spice sealed in food-grade mylar bag
- Packaged in resealable kraft tube
- Product is prepared and packaged using machines that may come in contact with wheat and or gluten, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, eggs, milk and soy.
We normally ship within 1-2 business days after receiving your order.
Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays are not business days for us. We need some rest too. ;-D
We put together a Shipping FAQs page if you’d like more details on what to expect.
Due to the pandemic, FedEx is no longer guaranteeing 2 Day service, though they should arrive more quickly than other options. Remember, Overnight and 2 Day items require one business day processing time, but we will ship these out first each day.
Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Would hate for you to be unhappy. The world has enough unhappiness. We're here to make you happy. Okedoke?